Individual Background Check For Employment Purposes:
- If you are seeking employment in the state of Maryland, your employer must request the background record check.
- You must:
- Use the fingerprint cards supplied by your employer, or
- Have your employer's authorization number available.
Individual State Background Check (For example; Visas, Gold Seal letters, and Individual Reviews):
If you live within Maryland:
- You may go to any authorized location that provides fingerprinting services.
- You may go to your local law enforcement agency to be fingerprinted on the state fingerprint card known as Form 015.
- Once you've been fingerprinted, you may overnight it to CJIS-Central Repository located at 6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 102, Baltimore Maryland 21215, or mail it to CJIS-CR P.O. Box 32708, Pikesville, Maryland, 21282-2708. (see Associated Fees below).
- If you are requesting a copy of your FBI cirminal history record you must send your request directly to the FBI.
If you live outside of Maryland:
- You may write CJIS-Central Repository P.O. Box 32708, Pikesville, Maryland 21282-2708, or call the Central Repository in Baltimore City at 410-764-4501 or toll free number 1-888-795-0011 to reques t a fingerprint card.
- You may mail the fingerprint card and associated fee to CJIS-Central Repository P.O. Box 32708 Pikesville Maryland 21282-2708, or overnight the fingerprint card to 6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 102, Baltimore Maryland 21215.
- Please include a check or money order made out to "CJIS Central Repository". See the schedule of Associated Fees below.
- You may expect a response in 10 - 15 business days.
Hazardous Material Endorsement for Commercial Driver's Licenses
The Transportation Security Administration has passed regulations requiring commercial drivers that transport hazardous materials to undergo a security screening that includes a criminal history background check. The Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services is working with the Motor Vehicle Administration to assure that commercial drivers in Maryland can apply for their Hazardous Material Endorsement and receive the required security screening at the same time. Detailed instructions for the application and renewal process for the Hazardous Material Endorsement can be found on the Motor Vehicle Administation website.
- If you currently live in Maryland and the adoption will be finalized in Maryland, follow the instructions of the agency conducting your home study for a full background childcare record check.
- If the child is being adopted from outside the United States, you may need a Gold Seal letter in addition to the childcare record check. Check with your adoption agency for additional details.
Call Center representatives can:
- Check the status of a current background history request. You must have the reference number or a social security number.
- Take orders for applicant fingerprint cards.
- Click here to fill out Applicant Fingerprint Card Order Form electronically.
- Or you may choose to download our Fingerprint Card Order Form, in PDF format. Simply complete your information, print it and fax it to 410-653-6320, or print it and mail it to CJIS-Central Repository, P.O. Box 32708, Pikesville, Maryland 21282-2708.
- Answer questions regarding our processing of criminal history.
- Give instructions on how to obtain a criminal history.
- Help to determine your appropriate criminal history request type.
- Help process the 365 Day Form for child care records
The Call Center cannot disclose an individual's criminal history.
|Call Center Hours:
|| Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
||Baltimore City local number 410-764-4501
Toll free number 1-888-795-0011
Obtaining Agency Authorization Numbers:
There is no fee required to become an authorized agency to receive criminal background information. You must qualify by Maryland law to be eligible. A written description of the services you provide and the recipient of those services will help to expedite the processing your request.
Private employers must complete the Private Party Petition packet:
- Please identify only one contact person. This is the person to whom CJIS-Central Repository will address all correspondence.
- Please print or type all information clearly. If you prefer, complete the Private Party Petition packet on-line through the provided link and either fax it to 410-653-6320, mail it to CJIS-Central Repository, P.O. Box 32708, Pikesville Maryland 21282-2708, or take it in person to CJIS-Central Repository 6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 102, Baltimore, Maryland 21215.
- You must complete a separate Part 2 section of the Private Party Petition for each job title for which you are requesting a background history check.
- Use the Registration Update Form to keep your information current
General Registration Form for a background check:
If you are an agency providing any of the services listed below, you must complete the General Registration form.
- Adult Dependent Care
- Attorney/Client - If the individual is not the attorney's client, the attorney must have a court-ordered subpoena issued by a Maryland court.
- Criminal Justice
- Child Care
- All Government Employment - Federal, State, and local
- Maryland State Government license - For example, taxicabs, Racing Commission, or Liquor Boards
- Maryland State Police License - For example, gun license, private detectives, and special police
- Public Housing
When completing the General Registration form:
- Please print or type all information from the provided link.
- Print or type your information and either mail it to CJIS-Central Repository P.O. Box 32708, Pikesville, Maryland 21282-2708, take it to CJIS-Central Repository 6776 Reisterstown Road, Suite 102, Baltimore, Maryland 21215, or fax it to 410-653-6320.
- List only one contact person. This is the person to whom all correspondence will be addressed.
- Be sure to select the correct criminal background request type.
- Use the Registration Update Form to keep your information current
|Associated CJIS - CR Fees
Fees are required to process each criminal background record check request.
All fees must be paid by credit card, check or money order in United States currency. The Central Repository cannot accept cash.
Checks submitted to CJIS Central Repository are electronically processed by TeleCheck Electronic Check Acceptance (ECAź). For more information regarding electronic check acceptance visit http://www.firstdata.com/telecheck/telecheck-works.htm.
|Full background [state and FBI]
for authorized agencies only
||child care volunteers
|State background check only
||with Gold Seal
|Attorney/Client pending criminal case
The fingerprinting fee at the CJIS Central Repository is $20.00 with no card limit. You may choose to have your fingerprints taken at another agency. Make sure to check with that agency for their fingerprinting fees as fees may vary.